2013/8/7 Paul Lacatus <p...@paul-lacatus.ro>

> Your idea is interesting but an Atom board is at a fraction of BB cost
> that is about 50 Euro ? And what about parallel ports on atom boards ? I
> will check. Thank you !
>
> PS The BBW is just laying on my table ;)

Beaglebone costs around 50 eur (at least in my country) and it has cpu and
ram onboard, sd card costs ~10 eur, any power supply with 5 vdc output can
be used for it (including unnecessary phone charger).
Atom ITX boards cost around 70 eur and it has cpu on board. You still need
ram and hdd, which will require additional 20-30 eur and also pc psu for
another 20 eur.
And double check any new Atom ITX boards - AFAIK there are issues with
drivers for Linux of their gpu chip, which mean problems with realtime
performance.

BTW Beaglebone is much easier to mount somewhere in the electronics cabinet.

The only thing that keeps me from using Beaglebone are the emails about
hdmi and pru fight for particular pins, so there were some difficulties
about them. I know that Charles has a working solution, but I do not know
any details.
Disabling hdmi and running the beaglebone headless is definitely a
solution, but I know that I am not that advanced to set up something like
that.

--
Viesturs

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.