On 8/7/2013 8:01 AM, Paul Lacatus wrote:
> On 07.08.2013 15:35, andy pugh wrote:
>> Your proposed combination ought to work well
> My problem is that I need more info about LinuxCNC on BB(W/B)  that I
> hope to find here on the mailing list .
>
> This  other questions still remains:
>
> 1. Is this card ( BBW 720MHz 256 MB ) strong enough for running LinuxCNC
> headless ? Or should
> I get a BeagleBone Black (1GHz / 512 MB ?

The BBW works fine running LinuxCNC headless.  I was 3D printing with
LinuxCNC and the BBW before the 'Black version came out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2IoHOZipLU

...I'm even tunneling the X11 session via ssh, which puts a heavier
burden on the BeagleBone than necessary.

I suggest starting with my MachineKit image, which is basically Robert
C. Nelson's Debian image for the BeagleBone with a Xenomai real-time
kernel installed, the LinuxCNC build dependencies added, and the
appropriate version of LinuxCNC already setup and compiled in a local
git working directory:

http://bb-lcnc.blogspot.com/p/machinekit_16.html

I haven't tried running the BBW on the 3.8 series kernel recently, but
AFAIK it should work fine.  Let me know if you have any problems.

> 3. If I have already the stepper driver board controlled by LPT port of the
> computer did I need and extra hardware of interfacing BeagleBone or a
> simple logic level conversion is enough.

You should be fine as long as you don't send any 5V signals to the
BeagleBone.  Virtually all modern PC parallel ports have 3.3V signals,
just like the BeagleBone, but the 'Bone doesn't have 5V tolerant inputs.

Since you are wanting to run headless, you can use any of the available
BeagleBone configurations, but I would recommend using one that does not
conflict with the LCD/HDMI pins.  That way you can add a monitor or LCD
later if you choose, or use the HDMI interface if you get a 'Black.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net