On Mon, Mar 10, 2014, at 04:55 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Continuing this thread of trying to determine what belt I need to properly
> fit these pulleys, I have talked to Chris Wood at LMS but he can't help me
> with anything but OEM parts, so some math based on the gullet od + the tip
> od on the pulley, half of that to get the "pitch diameter" converted to
> pitch circumference, then divided by the number of cogs, 30 in this case,
> give me a pitch length of 4.60mm, and in cycling my digital caliper through
> its modes, one thing seems to stand out, 3/16".  Are there belts made with
> a 3/16" pitch?

On most timing belts, the "pitch line" (where you measure pitch diameter)
is not half-way up the teeth as you calculated.  It is actually a little
outside the tops of the teeth, where the strength members of the belt
are.  See the drawing at
http://ca-cycleworks.com/c/pics/machining/tb_meas/Timing_Belt_Pulley_Pitch_Diameter_and_Outside_Diameter.jpg

--
  John Kasunich