On Tuesday 11 March 2014 06:06:32 Steve Blackmore did opine:

> On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 18:21:56 -0400, you wrote:
> >On Monday 10 March 2014 18:19:45 jeremy youngs did opine:
> >> gene , have a go at this
> >> http://precisionparts.wmberg.com/timingBeltsChains
> >
> >I am thinking I need a 5mm pitch, 9.5mm wide, 72 cogs long, but they
> >only go up to 3mm pitch.
>
> If it's a Sieg C2 or clone the correct belt is a 5mm pitch 9mm wide 70
> tooth
Does that translate to a 7x12 a good decade old?  One fly in this soup.
Where the motor WAS, is now a jackshaft, mounted in a frame of 1/2" thick
high silicon alu, drill & tapped to mount exactly where the motor WAS.
That means the mount is quite grossly adjustable up and down as the holding
studs can rise or fall in a pair of slots in the front face of the lathes
bed casting, with the 1HP treadmill motor hanging off the back of the
jackshaft frame. These studs draw the base of the frame up against a pair
of adjustable set screws, so that the motor, by way of the slots, can be
jacked up and down OR leveled so the belt runs true. The setscrews then
provide a pivot point, allowing the motor to be aligned so the belt
tracking doesn't want to run against one flange in forward rotation, but
crawl to the other flange in reverse.  But with the new parts, this
properly aligned position has jumped vertically by about 2 cogs of the
belt, raising the outboard motor a good 1/4" IOW.  So I now need a 72 cog
belt, one what actually fits the upper pulley correctly since this belt
seems to be about 2 or 3 thou longer per cog on the pulley and throwing a
just barely detectable slack loop at the back of the belt wrap.

This will put so much wear and friction heating on the thrust faces of the
cogs and the belt that I can't see it running for a long time at all.

And for some reason I have yet to fathom, replacing both pulleys and the
belt with these OEM parts, all of which have been working well since I put
that assembly in early last summer, have now cause the center to center
distance to be reduced to where I now need a 72 tooth belt to once again
lower the motor by about that much as the flywheel on the motor now
projects about 80 thou into the top cover that tries to keep the swarf out
of the electronics since all the motors drive electronics except the
dynamic braking are also in this box. The braking relays are in another
smaller box bolted to the lid of this box. The whole pair of boxes is made
out of alu angle for the corners, and slabs of 1/8" alu sheet from a
wrecked UPS van box side.  Handy stuff to collect when you stumble over it.
:)

Where last summer it sat low enough that the mounting stud nuts were nicely
accessible to a 10mm socket, below the line of the 16mm Z drive ball screw,
now its all so high I have to sneak a 10mm end wrench in behind the Z screw
and turn the nuts about 1/12th turn per stroke of the wrench.

Something in these supposedly identical new parts just doesn't fit right. I
can tilt it down so the motor clears, but then the jackshaft is quite
noticeably tilted off the Z axis line of the whole lathe bed, running
uphill to get to the lower pulley with lots of tension on the belt and its
riding the flange, HARD.  Frustration with the whole mary ann is running
high enough that I'm looking at the 11x28 from Bolton Hdwe.  But it comes
with such a puny powered spindle and zip accessories that the true price
will be about 3Gs more than they want by the time its truly useful.  TBT,
it cannot, with that spindle power, cut material in excess of 1" OD in
comfort.  That is about my situation now, regardless of motor power, its
out of cast iron at about 1" OD.

And with the lathe down, the putting ball screws in the mill project is
also dead in the water because I can't make the nut holders.

Then the MRI they took on my lower back Friday is so bad they may as well
just take me out and shoot me.  Don't get old guys, its not for wimps but
the back pain is turning me into one anyway. Sigh.  Its this stuff that
keeps me out of the bars!

> Steve Blackmore
> --

Cheers, Gene