On Saturday 05 April 2014 09:28:28 Bill Brettle did opine:

> Hi again everyone
>
>  Pin No. 01 on my BOB is enable, and unless it is on HIGH the motion
> commands are blocked, I've discovered that the input from the computer
> on this pin is 5v (ie HIGH) but the BOB inverts this so that the output
> is about 2v (ie Low) so what I now want to do is to invert the output
> from the computer.

First off, if its only going down to 2 volts, you have a hardware problem.
A fairly serious, something is trying to pull it up, and may have already
blown that gate on your BOB.  Maker and model of the BOB?

Second off "setp parport.0.pin-#-out-invert" in your .hal file will do the
inversion.

> There are some example on how to do this in an LCNC
> document titled Stepper Configuration. (with part of that document
> Attached) When I put that into my HAL file I get an error message as
> shown on the top line of that attachment.
>
> I have the opposite problem with my spindle which turns on when I start
> the program and turns off at an M3 Code.

Apply that same setp to the parport pin that enables the spindle.
IOW your setp parport.0.pin-9-invert TRUE becomes
setp parport.0.pin-9-out-invert TRUE

Same syntax for its pin 1

> Until I get this sorted out I can't sort out the other problems.
>
> I have included my .HAL and .INI files. As an ex Architect, ex Pastor,
> and ex Taxi Driver, I'm pretty much out of my depth, so could someone
> please check these to make sure that I'm not making a complete mash of
> them.
>
> Regards Bill

You also have 4 stepgens configured in your .hal file, but only 3 in your
.ini file.  That likely will cause errors when you get that far.

And, are you sure that the stepgen config is correct?
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2 April 2014 05:51, Bill Brettle <billbret...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > 1. how is Xenable triggered, it doesn't appear to be going high
> >
> > Xenable isn't a HAL pin, so I assume that it is a signal that is
> > created in your HAL file.
> > You probably want to connect it to axis.0.amp-enable-out.
> > http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/motion.9.html
> >
> > > My setup is a 3 axis, 2 wire connection. The 2 wires require B & C
> > > (or A
> >
> > &
> >
> > > D) phases and provides the other phases as inversions of the phases
> > > provided.
> >
> > Does that work? I thought that the step sequence required each phase
> > to be completely off some of the time.

We normally call that A/B/Z where A&B have a 90 degree relationship looking
something like 2 square waves, out of time by half the period of the wave
at each logic level. Z is only active during the once per revolution index
pulse.

> > There are 4 patterns, and you have 4 codes, so it should be possible
> > to make it work.
> > Looking at (for example) pattern 8
> > http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/rtcomps.html#sec:Stepgen
> > Does show the phases you describe, I can't decide if that will drive a
> > unipolar motor, or if is is designed as a differential drive to a
> > driver.
> >
> > > The attached BillsMill.hal shows how I have configured the pins ie
> > > by
> >
> > just
> >
> > > omitting configurations for A & D, I don't know how this will work.
> >
> > You may need to choose pattern 6 or 8 (the actual phase excitation
> > will be the same with either in your situation). These are the
> > patterns that output the full 4 combinations on just two pins.
> >
> > > 3. I have developed my Gcode files with CNCSimulatorPro but I found
> > > out that LCNC cannot read these even though I have saved them as
> > > .ngc.
> >
> > What do they look like? How does LinuxCNC fail to read them?
> >

> > --
> > atp
> > If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
> > http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto