On Sunday 06 April 2014 09:24:35 Bill Brettle did opine:

> Hi all,
>
> I've worked hard at my .ini and Hal but can't get rid of that error.
>
> I realised that I can change the wiring on my spindle relay and get rid
> of the offending line but that has moved the problem down to my setp
> enable file and that one's got me beat it doesnt matter if I have the
> "invert" in or out.  Googling has given me nothing.
>
> Any other brains to ask?
>
> Bill

Probably, but I just looked at the error again, and it leads to a question:

when linuxcnc isn't running, do you have, in the output of "lsmod" a normal
linux parport_pc driver?  If you do, its grabbing the parport hardware
which is the initiator of the error, and you must prevent that.

In your /etc/modprobe.d directory, you will need an emc.conf file, or a
linuxcnc.conf file, which contains this:

# Remove the '#' before 'install' below to prevent regular Linux programs
# from accessing the parallel port.  This also means that the linux
# parport number may not be used to identify the port in a
# loadrt hal_parport.
install parport_pc /bin/true

And reboot.

> PS. I'll be praying for you, I was scheduled to have some shoulder tears
> repaired next year but I've reconsidered. 9 months of agony after
> surgery and a 37% chance of recurrence.  B
>
> On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 06 April 2014 03:38:15 Bill Brettle did opine:
> > > Thankyou both
> > >
> > > First, the LOW on pin 1 was 0v sorry to muddy the waters.
> > >
> > > Second, I corrected the "-out-invert" problem now I get this Error
> > > message "Debug file information:
> > > Can not find -sec MOT -var MOT -num 1
> > > Can not find -sec IO -var IO -num 1
> > > Can not find -sec LINUXCNC -var NML_FILE -num 1
> > > Can not find -sec EMC -var NML_FILE -num 1
> > > BillsMill.hal:24: setp requires 2 arguments, 1 given
> >
> > Humm, do you as the linuxcnc user, have write perms in the
> > linuxcnc/config/BillsMill directory tree?  I don't recall ever seeing
> > an error like that.
> >
> > Yes, setp needs a pin or parameter argument first, then a value to set
> > it at.  Can be true/false or a floating point value depending on the
> > pin or parameter you are setting.  Some pins only exist as parameters
> > as has been pointed out.
> >
> > > 6953
> > >
> > >   PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND"
> > >
> > > What does all this mean?
> > >
> > > Third, I have included the line net
> > > "Xhome parport.0.pin-10-in=> axis.0.home-sw-in axis.0.neg-lim-sw-in
> > > axis.0.pos-lim-sw-in"
> > >
> > > Is this OK?
> >
> > If all switches are NO and wired in parallel so they close when
> > touched, or all switches are NC and wired in series so the chain
> > opens when touched, it should just work.  You will need a voltage
> > feed to set the logic when they operate of course. With a current
> > limit, say a 4.7k resistor.
> >
> > > Stepper configuration article says this:
> > > "### Shared home switches all on one parallel port pin?
> > > ### that's ok, hook the same signal to all the axes, but be sure to
> > > ### set HOME_IS_SHARED and HOME_SEQUENCE in the ini file.  See the
> > > ### user manual!"
> > >
> > > Is this necessary ? if so, where and what do I enter in my .ini?
> >
> > Yes, generally speaking. That way the home search sequence is done in
> > the order specified.  Just like the manual says.
> >
> > > Hope I'm making sense
> > >
> > > Regards Bill
> > >
> > > PS Gene, Hows the back going, any news on the op.? B
> >
> > Gah, a top poster.  I'm fat, dumb and unhappy till next Tuesday
> > afternoon when I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon to discuss
> > it.

> > Cheers, Gene
> > --

> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)