On 7/17/2014 6:37 PM, Leonardo Marsaglia wrote:

>> Mazak's policy is set up to encourage you to buy new rather than
>> fix. :-(
>>
> Indeed. A couple of years ago, I asked to mazak for the replacement for the
> standar CRT monitor. They quoted me US 5000 more or less, for the entire
> unit. By that time, we were using the lathe with an old CGA monitor,
> because the frequency is the same. I bought an adaptation board from CGA to
> VGA so now I can use any monitor. But yes, they're thiefs!

I talked with the company that lost the controls on the two Mazak lathes
and the big problem for them was operator training and the existing
programs that they had stored.

They could not afford the re-learning curve.   So they popped for the
$10K in new boards with the hope that they can eek a few more years out
of the lathes.   The company is not very forward thinking.   If they
believe they can get by for a year or two as is... they will stick with
what they have until something else catches fire.    They have no long
term plans to replace anything which of course is only planning for
disaster.    Which pretty much explains their declining business.

Dave