>>> Indeed. A couple of years ago, I asked to mazak for the replacement for the
>>> standar CRT monitor. They quoted me US 5000 more or less, for the entire
>>> unit. By that time, we were using the lathe with an old CGA monitor,
>>> because the frequency is the same. I bought an adaptation board from CGA to
>>> VGA so now I can use any monitor. But yes, they're thiefs!

I'd like to see how a VGA output was adapted to a CGA monitor. VGA uses
three analog frequency outputs, each with its own ground, and two sync
outputs, which in some implementations are tied together as composite sync.

Adapting a TTL monitor to a VGA output would require a complex and
expensive box with ADCs and at best you'd get 64 colors. I'd expect such
a device to cost as much as a monitor so why bother?

Since bare bones VGA only needs 8 wires, some monitors made in the early
years of VGA just used a single 9 pin input and had switches to change
among mono/Hercules, CGA, EGA and VGA. I had one, must have been NEC's
very first model of Multisync(TM) because that's all it had on it, no
model number at all. Even had a cooling fan. IIRC it's top VGA
resolution was the Macintosh one that's a bit over 800x600.

Mono/Hercules, CGA and EGA use TTL signaling with discrete levels,
various combinations of which are used as coding to make the monitor
produce the various colors from a limited palette.

A CGA monitor could be connected to an EGA video output and in most
cases it would work, even with the low resolution 320x200 16 color EGA
mode that CGA doesn't have. But a CGA monitor could not work with the
high resolution 640x350 EGA mode.

Some non IBM/PC micro computers could be modified to drive a CGA monitor
in a way to display higher resolution and/or more than 16 colors, but it
skates right on the edge of the monitor's capabilities and some monitors
just wouldn't handle it, especially if designed to be very precise on
the TTL signal transitions.

Stock EGA could display the full 64 color palette by using interlace and
fast switching hacks similar to how Amiga computers could come close to
displaying their full 4096 colors but nobody ever used the EGA hack on
anything but a "See? 64 colors!" demo due to horrible flicker.

There were a number of incompatible "Super EGA" modes made by various
video hardware manufacturers, supporting resolutions up to 800x600. The
trick was finding a monitor capable of not just the higher scan
frequency required but the *exact* frequency a specific "SEGA" video
board required. I had one of the earliest PC motherboards with multiple
integrated peripherals, made by Western Digital. It had serial,
parallel, floppy, IDE and some odd "SEGA" video with resolutions up to
800x600. Every built in peripheral had a jumper to disable it *except*
the video, and it was not configurable to be able to run dual video with
any other card in an ISA slot. Worked just fine with a standard EGA
monitor. IIRC it was a 80286 LCC package CPU.

Then IBM released VGA and nobody cared anymore about enhancements to
obsolete TTL video systems.

---
is active.