Hello!

I have a strange situation:
Stepper motor of Z axis on a cnc router is losing it's position -
doing a series of numerous holes in material will end up with various
depths of holes.

The strange part is:
1) for each time, when machine is running, it will lose position only
in one direction; if holes are getting deeper, then they only get
deeper, not the other way;
2) the direction of "drift" will change randomly as machine is
restarted and only then; simply running another g-code file will not
change the direction of "drift";

There is Nema23 stepper motor and Gecko stepper driver.
Motor cable is checked for loose contact, step/dir signal lines are
checked for loose contact, ballscrew and linear rails are checked for
any damage to cause extra resistance in particular direction, the
clutch between motor and ballscrew is checked not to slip.

I am totally out of ideas, where to look. Has anyone ever experienced
anything like that? What puzzles me most is the consistency to
maintain direction of "drift" and yet randomly change, when whole
system is restarted, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Viesturs