Greetings

change (not always), if system is restarted, but the direction of drift does
not change, once the >system is running - if it gradually goes up, then it
does so; if down, then it keeps getting deeper.

>There is no BoB, step/dir signals go directly from 5i23 to Gecko.

Two thoughts - sadly neither addressing the "direction of drift constant for
a given boot" symptom:

(a) It is not possible to infer if steps are being lost or gained from a
series of holes. Noise might give additional steps - but IMO this is unusual
-  but this might be when going down when holes get deeper or going up when
holes get shallower.

(b) It might be worth checking that the 5i23 pullups are set to 5volt for
the connector you are using. The 5i20 manual says that, with 3v3 pullups,
optos connected to a 5 volt rail may not fully turn off.

John Prentice