As you sad :
"Yes, as I said, motor is "drifting" in particular direction, which may
change (not always), if system is restarted, but the direction of
drift does not change, once the system is running - if it gradually
goes up, then it does so; if down, then it keeps getting deeper."

Means that the "drift" in is both directions. But the axis (motor) is
always making more space than expected , isn't it ?

Alex