On Thursday 04 September 2014 11:07:07 Viesturs Lācis did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hello!
>
> I have a strange situation:
> Stepper motor of Z axis on a cnc router is losing it's position -
> doing a series of numerous holes in material will end up with various
> depths of holes.
>
> The strange part is:
> 1) for each time, when machine is running, it will lose position only
> in one direction; if holes are getting deeper, then they only get
> deeper, not the other way;
> 2) the direction of "drift" will change randomly as machine is
> restarted and only then; simply running another g-code file will not
> change the direction of "drift";
>
> There is Nema23 stepper motor and Gecko stepper driver.
> Motor cable is checked for loose contact, step/dir signal lines are
> checked for loose contact, ballscrew and linear rails are checked for
> any damage to cause extra resistance in particular direction, the
> clutch between motor and ballscrew is checked not to slip.
>
> I am totally out of ideas, where to look. Has anyone ever experienced
> anything like that? What puzzles me most is the consistency to
> maintain direction of "drift" and yet randomly change, when whole
> system is restarted, so any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Viesturs

Can we assume you have lengthened the dirsetup and dirhold settings?

I don't have any gecko's, but this sure seems to be an ongoing problem
with them.

From previous messages, it seems a trip to gecko for repairs fixes it, but
a random direction fixed at machine boot?  Thats weird, and I've no clue.