As I understand it, those are (basically) the same engines that takes the Soyuz
rockets up still.. Truth be told (I'm no expert but have seen some articles to
this effect) the Russian rocket engines where much superior to their American
counterparts such that since Russia put some of there political views up on the
shelf, these motors have been imported into the U.S. in fairly good numbers.

Just 'cause it's old doesn't mean it won't work. Might not be as efficient as
new technology but if you factor in the cost of acquiring(creating) new
technology, sometimes the old stuff is still more efficient.

Fwiw
Jarrett Johnson

All grammar and spelling errors, compliments of my iPhone