On 10/30/2014 11:10 AM, Dave Cole wrote:
> I was a kid in the 1960's when then President Kennedy
> declared that we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade.
>
> I don't recall any costs being discussed at that time.  Nasa was fully
> funded to do what needed to be done to obtain the mission. Every time
> they had a test launch on TV, they used to line us up in grade school in
> the gym to watch the rocket launches on a "big" black and white TV.

Congress began cutting NASA's funding before the Apollo program started.

If it hadn't been for people like William Proxmire determined to kill
off everything to do with space exploration, the solar system now would
be inhabited pretty much like SciFi authors in the 1960's wrote about
how it would be in the early 21st Century.

Here's Larry Niven's short story "The Return of William Proxmire"

http://bookre.org/reader?file=263895

Somewhere along the line it looks like the original used Unicode for the
punctuation and it got ran through something that didn't grok that, so
all the quote marks, apostrophes and other punctuation aside from
question marks, commas and periods are swapped for other characters.

Unicode should never ever be used for any character present in the
Extended ASCII set, which contains all the characters for most languages
that mostly use the "english" alphabet. (There's one rarely used
character in Norwegian that's not in Extended ASCII.) English, French,
German, Italian, dunno what others, Ex-ASCII has it covered.

---
is active.