On 10/30/2014 10:31 AM, dr.kl...@gmx.at wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 30. Oktober 2014 schrieb Leonardo Marsaglia:
>>
>>> Skylon looks like it could be made to work for about 4 billion, and
>>> the only totally new parts (heat exchanger and fuel-intercooler
>>> scheme) have been demonstrated working.
>>> It is mainly a better-designed HOTOL  (
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOTOL ) which was described by the actual
>>> designer as "turned out to be an expensive way to send a hydraulic
>>> system to low earth orbit"
>>>
>>> I can't see anyone finding the 4 billion in the current climate though.
>>>
>> I guess that's the main problem with all of these projects. Most of the
>> people are not interested in space travel and what's beyond this planet,
>> hence nobody wants to invest a lot of money on that. The sad thing is, all
>> the great achievements and progress are acomplished in war times.
>>

> Greed is a bitch - when your word view is utilitaristic you'll never make it
> to Mars.
>
> Nik

Good point.  I was a kid in the 1960's when then President Kennedy
declared that we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade.

I don't recall any costs being discussed at that time.  Nasa was fully
funded to do what needed to be done to obtain the mission. Every time
they had a test launch on TV, they used to line us up in grade school in
the gym to watch the rocket launches on a "big" black and white TV.

Dave

---
is active.