I buy the cheapest modeling clay I can find ,usually at Walmart in
the crafts section, and just roll a chunk of it around the surface of
the magnet.  Then I toss it.  Use a fresh piece the next time.
The chips and dust embed themselves into the clay and stay there.  If
you use a chunk too many times the oil and dust start diminishing the
stickiness of the clay and it won't clean as well.
Also note that you shouldn't use that piece for anything but cleaning
magnets because it will be loaded with millions of tiny needle sharp
weapons looking for a finger to embed themselves in.

Cecil