On Saturday 16 May 2015 16:19:53 Jon Elson wrote:
> On 05/16/2015 09:11 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> I would not trust it!  The powder sintered pulleys I got
> >> were visibly out of center,
> >
> > I would be afraid of that, but visibly off, yee gods!
>
> I bought some R-8 end mill holders and could just see that
> they looked odd when I took them out of the package.  Turned
> out to have .020" eccentricity!  I had to send them back.
> Apparently, a whole batch of them were made badly.
> Got to check all tools when they come in.
>
> >> which didn't matter as I was
> >> turning them on the lathe, holding the OD in rings in the chuck.
> >>
> >> Jon
> >
> > Precisely why I posted the snide remark, Jon.  I should have added a
> > frownie. :-(
> >
> > But I fear that my 4 jaw, independent, is not the chuck to use
> > unless I want to trust the DRO, so I can mount the indicator on the
> > cross slide, and back it out of the way of a passing jaw as I'm
> > playing with the tensions for that final bit of eccentricity
> > removal.  That sort of thing needs a 6 jaw scroller, and they need a
> > BIG red wagon load of rolled quarters to put a quality one on my
> > property. :-(
>
> Yes, I bought a nice Phase-II adjustable 8" chuck on sale
> quite some years ago, and had it on my 12"
> Craftsman lathe.  When I upgraded, I put it on my Sheldon
> 15".  It still holds parts to about .001"
> TIR most of the time.

Now you are making me jealous. But it would probably take my rig ten
seconds to get it up to 200 revs.

> I rarely ever put the 4-jaw on the lathe.
>
> Jon

I have it back together, and a tool for polygrooves sharpened, but my
code is miss-behaving so I haven't made anything with grooves for
polybelts yet. I put some cable chain on the X cableing while I was
putting it back together.  It might cut down on the "oops, I stretched
too far" cable syndrome. ;)