On Friday 05 February 2016 11:01:06 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 05 February 2016 08:15:32 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 5. Februar 2016 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> > > After an update session, x (twm) was restarted on the GO704 mill
> > > install.
> > >
> > > Now Rainers python script will not run, BACKGROUND undefined, and
> > > presumably, following normal proceedure if I get that fixed, the
> > > FOREGROUND will be used as the next excuse to exit the script.
> > >
> > > Fail msg:
> > >
> > > gene@GO704:~/linuxcnc$ python
> > > python_opencv_camera_example_with_gui.py Traceback (most recent
> > > call last):
> > >   File "python_opencv_camera_example_with_gui.py", line 278, in
> > > <module> main()
> > >   File "python_opencv_camera_example_with_gui.py", line 222, in
> > > main root = Tk()
> > >   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1712, in
> > > __init__ self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName,
> > > className, interactive, wantobjects, useTk, sync, use)
> > > _tkinter.TclError: unknown color name "BACKGROUND"
> > >
> > > What can I put in ~/.basrc or ~/.profile that will fix this till
> > > the next install wipes it out?  I tried 'export BACKGROUND=0,0,0'
> > > (for black) and while it shows in an env report, it has no effect.
> > >
> > > I know this was hashed at length, a year or more ago, but can't
> > > recall what was done before.
> > >
> > > Thanks all.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> >
> > Hi Gene!
> >
> > It's still the old solution with "xrdb", same that works on TDE :-)
> > This is (still) in my ~/.xsessionrc :
> >
> > # LINUXCNC
> > (
> >     sleep 10
> >     xrdb -all -query|sed -e 's#[A-Z_]*BACKGROUND# gray90#' -e
> > 's#[A-Z_]*FOREGROUND# Black#'  -e 's#[A-Z_]*HIGHLIGHT# White#' -e
> > 's#[A-Z_]*LOWLIGHT# Black ) &
> >

> > Nik
>
> I found that script, as ~/.xinirc,
> #!/bin/bash
> sleep 10
> # DEBUG
> xrdb -all -query|sed -e 's#[A-Z_]*BACKGROUND#
> gray90#' -e 's#[A-Z_]*FOREGROUND# Black#'  -e 's#[A-Z_]*HIGHLIGHT#
> White#' -e 's#[A-Z_]*LOWLIGHT# Black#'|xrdb -merge
> xmessage ".xinitrc :-)"
>
> But it sleeps forever, needing a ctl-C to get my prompt back.  I just
> tried it again, 2 minutes later its still hung.  So I killed it again.
>
> But thats running it from a konsole login from here.  I'll go out and
> reboot it just for S&G.  I just woke up again, so that will take 5 or
> 10.
>
> Thanks Nik,

Ok, did that, played with that script, rebooting each time after I had
edited it. This (finally, about 7 reboots later) finally does it. And it
works either on local console or my remote ssh -Y login.

# LINUXCNC
#################!/bin/bash
(
  sleep 10
# DEBUG
  xrdb -all -query|sed -e 's#[A-Z_]*BACKGROUND#
gray90#' -e 's#[A-Z_]*FOREGROUND# Black#'  -e 's#[A-Z_]*HIGHLIGHT#
White#' -e 's#[A-Z_]*LOWLIGHT# Black#'
)|xrdb -merge
###xmessage ".xinitrc :-)"

I put the () in, along with the comment in line one, blew away the
shebang (I think), and had to restore the "|xrdb -merge" on the end, and
now it appears to work both places.  It was the xmessage ".xinitrc :-)"
that was hanging it forever, or until I clicked to close it, which I was
doing.  Now I don't see it & the login is quite noticably faster.

My biggest problem in inserting that above, was I had to get another
shell, and do an "ls -la /sshnet/GO704" to get a directory listing
because kmail could not see the sshfs generated directories contents
until I had done that.

I swear, some days it doesn't pay to gnaw thru the straps and get up in
the mornings.  But I have hopes of its working for a while now.

Thanks for the reminder, Nik, appreciated.

BTW, ~/.xsessionrc is a link to ~/.xinitrc if that was muddying the
issue. I wanted to cover all the bases. :-)