On Friday 05 February 2016 13:30:54 Fox Mulder wrote:

> Am 05.02.2016 um 17:42 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> > On Friday 05 February 2016 08:15:32 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> >> Am Freitag, 5. Februar 2016 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> >
> > Then opencv has a what looks like an input buffer size problem. two
> > screen snapshots attached to show that.  The camera only has 2
> > output modes according to an lsusb -vv, a jpg in 640x480, which
> > works well, but is about half resolution.  Switching to  1280x1024,
> > its native raw video format, and while the tcl/tk window is the
> > correct size, about 300 lines of the bottom of the pix are dropped.
> > I /think/ the target crosshairs and circle are still correct, in
> > which case I get the impression a few pixels are missing on the
> > right.  But since the horizontal scale is missing I can't be sure.
>
> One thing i see in your attached screenshot is that the video area in
> the tk window has not the correct resolution. In my code the
> resolution was set to 1280x960 for the video. In your screenshot the
> area for the video is still 1280x960 and not 1280x1024. This leads to
> the question if all occurrences for the resolution were changed
> correctly in the python code.

Yes they were, I just rechecked, 2 places, once in the menu and once in
the callback.

> The second problem with the missing lower part of the video is a bit
> strange. The video in your screenshot has a resolution of 1280x720
> (16:9). Could it be that your camera maybe is in widescreen format and
> 1280x720 is the native resolution?

I did another lsusb -vv|less and scanned thru the report, I I believe you
are 101% correct, in the 1280x1024 stanza's is "still image not
supported"

So just for grins, I changed the vertical in both places to 720, and its
working quite nicely in 16x9 format.  It also has a 320x240 mode but I
don't need that at all.  It also shows a 1600x1200, but again "still
image not supported". In that event, I get the 1280x720 image with right
and lower borders.

So this problem is solved, and I thank you very much.

Now all I have to do is make a solid, quickly demountable, mount for the
camera so that I can slip it in to use it & park it on a coat hanger so
it doesn't get wrecked by an errant clamp bolt.

But the 45 degree dovetail tools will not be here till about Tuesday at
the earliest.

Then to demo that the old fart isn't the woodworker he thought he was, I
tried to assmble the walls for some blanket chests I am making, using
the first 2 side boards and the first 2 end boards that I had precut
from some pretty poor, warping like crazy, mahogany I paid about a
kilobuck for.  But the instant I took the saran wrap off it, it thought
it was competing for first prize at the Pretzel Benders ball.  I had
forgotten that one of the side boards had a wind in it of about 4" in
its 45 inch length. And that after machining the ends, poorly because it
wasn't even of a uniform thickness, I had marked the bad side "scrap,
burn me" and put it on the top tier of the wood rack.

So, having promptly forgot about it, poor short term memory, guess which
was the first board I pulled off the rack...  Yup.  So tomorrow I have
22 2" #8 screws to pull, knock it out and put it over on the scrap rack
& put a good board in its place.

Hopefully it will also come closer to shrinking the same amount and I
won't have to drive those Green & Green joints together with 30 lbs of
pipe clamps & a dead blow hammer.

One thing is for certain, I am never ever buying another toothpick from
Hartland Milling.  This stuff has had more time to "season" in my garage
than its had since it was sliced out of the waterlogged tree & shipped
to me.

> This could explain why the grid is cropped at the lower end because
> the program thinks the resolution is 1280x1024 when it in reality is
> 1280x720. The calculation for the position of the grid would then be
> starting below the video frame. But this is only a wild guess.
>
> What native resolution does other programs show for your camera like
> vlc or guvc-view?

Neither is installed.  And cheese doesn't work with this camera for some
reason I've not deduced.  Segfaults.

So, I think the rest of this is making the mount, calibrating the offset,
and learning how to use the buttons I stole from camview to get all the
dots connected.

Thanks again Rainer, with your considerable help I think I have
it "whupped".  I think the only other feature I'd like is a crop
function so I am only seeing the center 200x200 out of the 1280x720
mode.  A poor mans telephoto lens IOW.