From: "Brent Loschen" <brent.losc...@gmail.com>
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 11:17:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Question on DM860 stepper drivers

McMaster has a nice selection of 3' long springs of various OD's, wire
diameters, and spring rates.  They seem reasonably priced (~$5-$10) in
sizes likely used for this type of application -
http://www.mcmaster.com/#extension-springs/=122u4yj.

I'm curious if anyone has compared moving mass (pulley/cable/mass) vs
springs for counter weighting a G0704.  Other than ease of
implementation, space requirements, etc., any real world
advantages/disadvantages of either?  ie Z axis repeatability? Any
thoughts on the "right" amount of counterweight?  1/2 the head weight,
more/less?