On Wednesday 20 April 2016 07:38:39 John Thornton wrote:

> Is that a Leadshine drive? I thought they were pretty good. I do like
> my G203V's they run smooth and fast.
>
> http://www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-step-motor-drives/g203v.html
>
> JT

Where do you program the microsteps it uses?  Ah, found it, $24 optional
plugin card and that brings it up to $166 USD + ship.  Ouch.  I can beat
that, self powered, 9.8 amps, the usual microstep setting dip switches:

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wantai-Nema-42-Stepper-Motor-Driver-DQ2722MA-110-230VAC-2Phase-/321491435394?hash=item4ada61ff82:g:du8AAOxyTjNSkwjO>

for $177.  At one point yesterday I had that driver and a 920 oz 4,4 mh
motor lumped together, for about $220 IIRC and if I can find it again,
will order it. ebays search function sucks.

Couldn't find the kit with that driver, ordered separately, about 10
days. $265 IIRC. No clue what the motor coil peak volts is but its got
to be a heck of a lot faster than the 1600 oz/in, 23 mh 3.5 amp snail,
with a 60 volt 5.85 amp, + an MA860 driver 3 piece combo in there now.
Maybe even faster than the XY setups on it, they peter out at about 60
ipm if asked to go clear to the end of the x ways.  And I'll go see what
I can get from tractor supply in the way of pulleys, springs and bars to
hold the upper end where the pulleys will live.  Just like on my HF toy,
but a heck of a lot neater looking I hope. I might even get 4 pulleys so
I can stretch the springs forward to get a hold on the head somewhat
closer to its CG. Slim possibility of attaching the pulley mounting bars
on angle stock on top of the motor if the motor has any tapped holes on
the top face. TBD of course. Now I have a 15" abrasive saw I didn't have
when a cobbled up the toy mill so I can cut steel a little neater.

Thanks John.