On 04/20/2016 03:20 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> One of the things I am noticing, when running this crippled Z drive at
>> various speeds, is that up to about 3/4 rps at its shaft, it moves dead
>> silently, but by 2 rps, its rattling tools off the table, exactly as if
>> is was being full stepped, and it doesn't become at all smooth again
>> until its moving the head at 25 ipm or more, then stalls at just under
>> 48 ipm.
>> What say you folks?  Will this truly solve it?
> I would guess resonance or step signal have to toggle between two different
> frequencies but have no experience. An oscilloscope would tell if there are
> problems with the step signal. I can also tell if stepper driver behave as
> expected.

You can also hook up an old PC speaker with a 150 Ohm
resistor in series to the step signal and listen to it.  The
ear has a great system for picking out multiple
frequencies.  Since my (Pico Systems) stepper board is
essentially a servo, where the computer sends a velocity,
step pulses are counted as if they were coming from an
encoder, and then run through the PID hal component, bad PID
parameters can cause nasty frequency hopping at certain
speeds.  So, I listen to it and twiddle until I get smooth
tones that sound like turning the dial on an audio
oscillator.  (You can also do this with Halscope.)

Jon