On 05/28/2017 04:20 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
[snip]
> I think I'd do as a previous install did,
> name the kernel and kernel7 images with unique names, and specify, in
> boot/config.txt, the kernel its supposed to boot. Then apt, apt-get, and
> dpkg can shovel shit around in the /boot tree to their hearts content
> and my realtime kernel will still be there.
> Each one of these experiences is a learning event. The problem is as much
> my poor short term memory as anything else. But as soon as I put
> something in Dee's tummy for breakfast, that unique kernel name will be
> put into effect. The next thing in this recovery is to install an even
> newer rt kernel that fixes the keyboard problems.  That renaming may be
> the best way to pin it.

On these systems you are supposed to have auto-update disabled and be
conservative (easy to say, hard to do). Afaik, doing an "apt-get
upgrade" will not upgrade the kernel. You normally have to do
"dist-upgrade" for kernel updates.

For the Pi, I always make a card image on my local host of the latest
running version using:

# dd if=/dev/sdX bs=4M | gzip > piimg-XYZ-$(date '+%Y%m%d%H%M%S').img.gz

(I usually add some more identifying stuff to the filename part XYZ to
keep track what is in the image)

That way I do not have to start from scratch each time something bad
happens (or the SD card dies). BTW, I have an sshfs running where the
sources are. That way I'm not trashing the SD card too soon.

Fwiw, Gene, I've got a Pi3 running:
$ uname -a
Linux picnc 4.9.30-rt20-v7+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Sun May 28 09:40:46 CEST
2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

And, boy is the Pi3 a heat-generator. Several crashes with the
environment here (today) at 27 degrees C and doing linuxcnc compiles.
Finally added a heatsink.

Now, if I can get linuxcnc to play nice... It is not happy about my
setup. Doing deb-package creation is too much of a pain.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)