On Sunday 28 May 2017 10:44:46 Bertho Stultiens wrote:

> On 05/28/2017 04:20 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > I think I'd do as a previous install did,
> > name the kernel and kernel7 images with unique names, and specify,
> > in boot/config.txt, the kernel its supposed to boot. Then apt,
> > apt-get, and dpkg can shovel shit around in the /boot tree to their
> > hearts content and my realtime kernel will still be there.
> > Each one of these experiences is a learning event. The problem is as
> > much my poor short term memory as anything else. But as soon as I
> > put something in Dee's tummy for breakfast, that unique kernel name
> > will be put into effect. The next thing in this recovery is to
> > install an even newer rt kernel that fixes the keyboard problems.
> > That renaming may be the best way to pin it.
>
> On these systems you are supposed to have auto-update disabled and be
> conservative (easy to say, hard to do). Afaik, doing an "apt-get
> upgrade" will not upgrade the kernel. You normally have to do
> "dist-upgrade" for kernel updates.
>
> For the Pi, I always make a card image on my local host of the latest
> running version using:
>
> # dd if=/dev/sdX bs=4M | gzip > piimg-XYZ-$(date
> '+%Y%m%d%H%M%S').img.gz

I take it you have a rotating media attached?

> (I usually add some more identifying stuff to the filename part XYZ to
> keep track what is in the image)
>
> That way I do not have to start from scratch each time something bad
> happens (or the SD card dies). BTW, I have an sshfs running where the
> sources are. That way I'm not trashing the SD card too soon.
>
> Fwiw, Gene, I've got a Pi3 running:
> $ uname -a
> Linux picnc 4.9.30-rt20-v7+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Sun May 28 09:40:46 CEST
> 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

If you could put a deb of that kernel in my inbox, I'd be delighted!

> And, boy is the Pi3 a heat-generator. Several crashes with the
> environment here (today) at 27 degrees C and doing linuxcnc compiles.
> Finally added a heatsink.

Always had the small ones, no such problems, but I have not tried to
overclock it either.  And it does the 100hz thread that all my dials on
the apron can do in close enough to realtime that I can't see any lags
even following perfectly if I spin the dial above the motors max speed.
I've repeatedly done so, then brought the dial back to zero, and look up
to find the onscreen dro is also on zero, so I'm a bit proud of that.

If and when I make it run again, I'll split that code out of my hal & put
it up on my web page so anybody can snarf it, if they want.  I/O
assignments will have to be edited in on the users end of course.

> Now, if I can get linuxcnc to play nice... It is not happy about my
> setup. Doing deb-package creation is too much of a pain.

Something I've never tried, the newer kernel I'll put in today, is a
tarball, with nothing but the /boot changes, and the /lib stuff. So dpkg
knows nothing about it. I'd love to make a deb from the tarball so dpkg
was aware of it. In the meantime I'll rename stuff to hide it from dpkg.