On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 9:23 AM, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
> On 05/26/2018 10:54 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
>>
>> I had to look up the link to see how it is possible for an encoder to
>> cause lag.   Only by not having enough resolution for low speed
>> operations
>>
> The AMT encoders use interpolation of a very low resolution basic sensor.
> They must have some kind of velocity tracking loop.  When velocity changes
> suddenly, the position of the tracking loop falls behind the actual
> position, and the loop is commanded to speed up.

Looks like I guested right, low resolution encoders require a long
sample period to avoid quantization error.

There is a solution.  You stop COUNTING encoder ticks and measure the
TIME between the ticks.  But this requires an encoder that gives acce
to the actual edges of the physical encoder disk.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California