On Monday 28 May 2018 15:09:00 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 05/27/2018 10:54 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > To Jon; I had to reset the pwm-servo several times, it was
> > tripping off at the m5, which is completely off while the
> > motor was cranking the spindle at 1500. So thinking about
> > the motors emf, I put an s100, g4p.5 in front of the m5.
> > Hasn't tripped again.
>
> Yes, you certainly don't want to do a harsh reversal.  Even
> with a VFD on my Bridgeport, I have a lowpass filter to make
> the spindle start/stop and reversal more gradual.  I put the
> filter in between
> motion.spindle-speed-out and the DAC that drives the VFD.
> In this particular case, the VFD takes digital direction
> commands and a unipolar speed command, so I use the abs
> component to convert +/- values to all +.
>
> net spindle-speed motion.spindle-speed-out => mult2.1.in0
> setp   mult2.1.in1 0.002457
> net spindle-DAC-cmd mult2.1.out => lowpass.0.in
> net spindle-DAC-filt lowpass.0.out => abs.0.in
> setp lowpass.0.gain 0.005
> net spindle-DAC-abs  abs.0.out => ppmc.0.DAC.03.value
>
> Doing it with the filter means you never have to think about
> doing this in every G code program.
> The first setp has a cal factor for one belt ratio setting
> to spindle speed.  The second setp sets the time of the
> lowpass smoothing.  You can also use limit3 to do this.
>
> Jon

I'm using a limit3 in front of the PID command in. Just enough lag to
make a 2800+ to 2800- in about 400 milliseconds in high gear. The amp
(or the motors iron) lets out a faint chirp from the overcurrent kicking
in at about 16 amps. Go for 1400+ to 1400- in low gear is a bit slower,
more overshoot at the bottom of a rigid tap, and still gives a very
short chirp thats easy to miss. And I don't recall ever getting an error
trip doing that. Both are well above the motor max rpms when it was
running on the oem 90 volt controller. Its in a keep box someplace in
the garage. :) I'm guessing that with your control and a supply big
enough to manhandle that motor, that I am getting close to 2 hp out of
it at peaks.