On 16.06.19 13:56, Chris Albertson wrote:
> The Pi3+ has considerable faster CPU performance vs. the BBB.   Also twice
> the RAM and good built-in WiFi.
> Yes the Pi's Ethernet has limited bandwidth but how much is required?    In
> the old days people were using parallel ports on PCs and they have VERY
> limited data rate compared to the Pi's Ethernet.t  The Pi's ethernet is not
> a problem in our case as not much data is being sent.
>
> But I keep wondering why not use an Intel i5 or i3?   You can buy a refurb
> PC that came off lease foruder $200 and it will have a power supply and
> case and a disk and run circles around the Pi. And if you want good
> graphics the PC has a PCIe slot what you can drop in an Nvidia GPU.

Since my Udoo X86 went wobbly, I'm looking for a new youtube machine.
(The video breaks up after ten minutes of running, without the
temperature triggered fan spinning up. Feels cool too. Maybe it's high
ESR supply caps?)

If a Pi3+ isn't optimal, is there a smallish mobo with good integrated
graphics so I don't have to fork out for that separately?

I'd want to run devuan (debian without systemd) on it. That works a
treat on the Udoo X86.) Hmmm, I must unearth the Bitscope oscilloscope
adaptor and take a look at the supply rail.

Erik