On 07/21/2020 12:00 PM, Robert Ellenberg wrote:
Based on the videos and your descriptions of the behavior, you may be
running into a TP issue I've seen (in simulation) with very sluggish
spindles or very high spindle speeds. Here's what I think is going on:

    1. The rigid tapping cycle allows a hard-coded 10 revolutions
    <https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master/src/emc/tp/tc.c#L856>
    of overtravel beyond the nominal bottom of the hole when reversing
    direction.
    2. The spindle starts reversing direction only after the Z axis has
    reached the bottom, so the spindle has to be able to stop in 10 revolutions
    to stay within the budgeted overtravel.
    3. If the TP hits the end of the overtravel, it prematurely declares the
    motion to be complete and stops following the spindle motion.

AND, so the guy who actually WROTE THE CODE explains what is REALLY going on!
Yes, that explains at least the first video quite well.

Obviously, for rigid tapping, you need a spindle drive that is capable of a pretty strong stop and reversal.

Jon