> From: Chris Albertson [mailto:albertson.ch...@gmail.com]
> This list is about tools.  But tools are pretty worthless unless you use
> them to make stuff.  If all the things you can build in a shop airplanes
> have to be the over-the-top most expensive and difficult if you build them
> one at a time by hand.   I'm making small robots now

Hey Chris,

For me, from the hobby perspective it's as much about building the tools as
using them.  Although I rarely use it I am still very pleased with my Gingery
Lathe which ended up launching my ELS.

OTOH, from a business perspective the first custom heatsink for a project was
carved out on the CNC router from an existing PC processor heat sink.
http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/HeatSink.htm

But I'm not set up to make them commercially.  So a local machine shop with
HAAS and decades of experience took the drawings and made them for me.  The
HAAS is good enough to chamfer each fin edge so post rework wasn't required.
Straight from them to Vancouver to the Anodizing place.

John Dammeyer