On Thursday 19 November 2020 05:07:17 Les Newell wrote:

> Just a thought on your motor coolant. I use roughly 25% propylene
> glycol/ 75% deionised water in my laser. The last time I changed it
> was 5 years ago and I have no gunk apart from a very small amount of
> accumulated green oxidation on the copper heat exchanger in the
> chiller (actually a pub drink chiller). Apparently you need 20% or
> higher to prevent algae growth. I top it up about once a year with DI
> water.

So far just distilled in it this time, but when it went to hell, it was
straight pink RV stuff from wallies.  That's supposed to be propylene
glycol. I've a gallon or part of a 50-50 Prestone mix for vehicles that
I'll try to mix in when the new motor arrives.  And I'll watch it a lot
more carefully. I have sealed up the lid to better keep the insects out
of it, and to somewhat slow the evaporation rate. Its a file keeper
container, semi clear plastic that did have a good size cord entry
carved in one end of the lid, but that's sealed up tight with shoe goop
now, there two small leaks at the ends of the carry handle in the lid,
which buckles down pretty tight. but those aren't big enough to let a
house fly in.  Holds about 5 gallons. Sitting on the end of the 2x4
table behind the 6040. No room on the floor for a bigger tank.  My 14x24
garage is stuffed to the ceiling.  Literally. The electronics for the
6040 are on a 2x4 shelf above it, suspended from the ceiling.

One note in Fine Woodworkings last tools issue sure is true, about a lady
woodworker in Canada that found an abandoned 2 story log cabin around
200 years old, bought it, took it apart, and rebuilt it on her place,
was that workshops only come in one size, "too small". :-)

Thanks Les.

> Les
>
> On 18/11/2020 23:27, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > While I was out there, I removed the water line nuts from the 6040
> > motor, probed into it with a long thin driver dislodging quite a bit
> > of junk, some of which stung my hands when I alternated blowing thru
> > it with the air hose, which I alternated directions several times.
> > Had to cut off about 7" to get to good hose, found the hole blown in
> > the side of the hose a couple inches above the motor.  Then pulled
> > about a foot thru the cable chain, tightened it all back up and
> > dumped the slightly dirty water & put 2 gallons a fresh distilled in
> > it to cover the pump.  And I'm seeing more water back into the tank
> > than I have seen in a year. The stream is now a good big coffee cup
> > a minute, up from a quarter inch in the bottom of the cup, so its at
> > least partially restored, well enough to finish the next stage of
> > the motor mounts tommorrow without cooking it again.
> >
> > Thank you Ralph.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

 - Louis D. Brandeis