On 7/11/21 11:15 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
Essentially the process involves two touch off operations.  First one side
until an LED comes on or even better the probe input goes active.  At that
point touch off so the axis is set to 0.

Then you move in the opposite direction until the probe (or LED) goes active.
Divide that axis value by two and move back to that position.  Now touch off
again to set the axis to 0.  You are now in the middle.

Right,  I can do that with a calculator and some arithmetic, and jog there manually,  but I am a mathematician,  and we're known to be lazy,  so I am thinking about a button   :)

It's probably possible with a fancy G-Code macro.

well,  if one can write a plugin,  it would probably be fairly easy (but I am a CNC rookie) to do that,  if that plugin can actually move the tool/spindle

A number of different projects I've done have been set up that way.  Find the
center of the object which is also where I've set the center in the CAM
software.  Rather than top left or bottom left corner of something that has
been milled away.

right,  I don't think it is not too difficult to find the center of all kinds of shapes (geometrically or otherwise), in a math kinda way that is.

But I'm an amateur and probably do things the hard way.  Often...
well,  hobbyist that's trying to learn some stuff here,  I am actually a mathematician,  I can calculate things,  but I'd be a starving machinist or CNC person/operator/machinist ...   this weekend I created 4 proto types of a stepper motor mount,  aka scrap.

John

Ron