> That was actually what I was looking for, a button "like that", and
> wondered if I just didn't see/find it.
>
> Yeah I can see some "convenient" functionality in that,  but being able
> to go "half way" between two points, even with some iteration would
> help, to get that started
>
> (It would be really easy, math wise, once you have something like that,
> to find the center of a circular hole,  or a rectangle, or anything
> symmetrical, basically)
>
> I wonder, in hal, with a plugin, if you can just move the tool/spindle,
> and the DRO screen shows where it is going. For example,  for finding
> the center of a circular hole, you'd only need to find the edge in 3
> spots, and then just "go there".
>

> I'd love to figure out how to write a plugin like that.

Well If you want to use an electronic probe tool to automatically stop at
contact I think the use of HAL is unavoidable since the probe input is a
part of the MOTION component of LinuxCNC. You'll also have to make fancy
G-CODE as John said with this approach since you're gonna need to deal with
digital outputs and delays to make the routine. If you plan to externalize
the probing or if you plan to use a wiggle edge finder, you can still use
HAL to manually set the points with a button as we talked earlier.

As Andy suggests, there are plenty of GUI(ed) ways to do this also, but I'm
so comfortable with HAL that I really don't mess around too much at GUI
level. (That's a big to do on my list)

If you have some C programming knowledge I think you will be more than
alright making your custom component to try this. I myself am pretty far
from being a programmer and I could do a lot of custom components with the HAL
Component Generator <http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/hal/comp.html> for
the machines I have here.

Any help you need please feel free to ask :)