OK.
Thanks Les.
I really thought that the way the HAL files and INI files were constructed that
 the parser just continued each section before doing the next pass to deal with
the created data structures.

On 2.7.14 obviously not.

I moved the two MDI_COMMAND lines into the HB04 layout2.inc and moved the two
net lines from
net remote-rapid-to-Z-home halui.mdi-command-16 <= pyvcp.rapid-to-Z-home
net remote-rapid-to-XY-home halui.mdi-command-17 <= pyvcp.rapid-to-XY-home

into the pyvcp_options.hal file where the spindle RPM and up to speed led lives.

Now I have Home Z and Home XY buttons.
Thanks.

I really think that if the second [HALUI] is ignored it should throw up an
error or warning.

I think I'll play with the probe stuff next.

John