Many many many years ago in the compiler writing class, my professor Chris
Thomson, use to say if "in doubt, add another pass".  He also stressed that in
the future, unlike the limited IBM 370 with only 16MB of memory, systems would
have lots of memory and so adding more passes would not be expensive.

Chris is mentioned here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLACC

He wrote the entire Algol-68 compiler in IBM 370 assembler.   It was a time
when we were given so many minutes of computer time for a course.   AlgolW
would compile 1000 line program in a fraction of a second.  FLACC might take a
whole second to compile the same thing.

AlgolW and Fortran would spit out an error and then the next 50 errors would be
there because of the first.  So in the long run you would submit and compile
many times to get a program running.  With FLACC if you were dumb enough to
only fix the first error the other exact same 49 would show up again.  But fix
all 49 and likely you wouldn't see any others.  So that longer compile time
came with the benefit of perfect error reporting.  To create a compiler that
can do that is not easy.

John