OK.  First of all thank you to Les and Andy.

I've moved the MDI_COMMANDs from the layout2.inc that were part of the HB04
installation into the .INI file under the [HALUI] section.

In the process I discovered what two of the buttons on the pendant did. (Never
bothered trying them out).   I now have a better idea of how to deal with the
other macro buttons on the pendant.

I also, on the MDI command line tried out the
G92Y[#5421 / 2]
after first setting the 0 of a spot drill over the solid edge of the vise.
Then moving with the jog and MPG wheel to center (again by eye) the spot drill
over the edge of the movable jaw.

Next a
G1 Y0 F10
and sure enough a nice slow (safe) move to what looked like the mid-point
between the two jaws.  I'll set up a couple of buttons the way Les has and
won't need to use the Shumatech DRO-350 anymore for finding mid points.

Been a good day.
Thanks again.
John