Yeah, I went back and deleted everything in the repositories that had linuxcnc
in it.  Then in the Synaptic Package manager marked for deletion all the
linuxcnc-doc, -uspace, -uspace-dev

Back to repositories and added (again) the path to the 2.8-rtpreempt which in
the screen shot I posted last night was labelled 2.8-rtprempt.  Notice the
missing 'e'

Upgrade has been done.  Dialog about joints and axis shows up.  Say yes.  And
it dies at
LIB:xch-hb04.tcl not found.

So it looks like removing 2.7 also trashed that.  Where to find it is the next
exercise.