So the upgrade document needs a bit of work with some guidance on what needs to
be removed in order for this to work.  Likely if I'd spelled it right it would
have?  So then the question is why the synaptic repository program didn't warn
me that it couldn't find the file.  That probably also needs fixing.

I found a backup copy of xhc-hb04.tcl and put it into the /usr/lib/... location
and then did the usual move Ethernet cables and reboot etc.  System now works
and the INI file has both joint and axis.

What doesn't work is the spindle on and off buttons on the pendant.  More
research required.

And if anyone was wondering why it's taken so long for me to upgrade, the story
in this thread is why.  It's rarely ever smooth or simple.  Side effects
sometimes take a long time to discover.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.
John