From: Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
Sent: 30 April 2019 14:09
To: Enlightenment developer list <enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [E-devel] EFL Autotools freeze proposal

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 18:30:20 +0930 Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> said:

> On 30/04/2019 17:40, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> >> Yes, anyone can make a PPA.  But you're talking to the maintainers
> >> of distro packaging - we try to put packages into distros for real
> >> :)
> >
> > and i think this was covered - a stable distro release that will not
> > upgrade meson out of principle (that's the definition of stable)
> > isn't going to upgrade efl either for the same reasons... so i think
> > the topic is kind of moot. if someone wants to make pkgs for such
> > distros they can create upgraded meson packages too etc. if they want to go
> > the "all done by pkgs"
> > path :)
> >

> This is kind of right, in an openSUSE context for a new service pack
> we probably won't update Meson because it effects alot but we can
> update efl / e because it doesn't affect as much, we could also add it
> if it didn't exist. Further if a new version of efl fixed a serious
> bug that was hard to backport we would also take the version update.

tho meson doesn't affect THAT much... it's a build tool not a "runtime tool".
it isn't int he realms of libc, Xserver, bash etc.

> In ubuntu's case from memory the service packs tend to only be a new
> installer containing all the updates so its probably less likely, but
> I don't remember how ubuntu works 100% so I could be wrong.

in our case if a new efl needs a new meson, then... that's what it needs and an
efl upgrade is not likely to happen then from the core distro. ppa's and
equivalents can manage to fill that gap. this problem will go away over time as
meson matures etc. etc. so this is a short-term problem as such. :)

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com