Sthithaprajna wrote:

> Indeed, one of the main reasons for creating exchange was to make a
> webapp that was a lot more tightly integrated with the efl.
> Personally, I would like to see a ecore-style C library for exchange,
> so that people can just plop it into their apps and get a full
> repository of themes for their specific app.
> Exchange already records version numbers, so your themes could have
> automatic updates as well!

      That would a tremendous leap in helping to extend E to the net. It's just
a shame that has been left to merely having a site or two whose main
functionality
is basically to crank out html docs giving access to this or that.
      Every app that wants to should be able to more easily have net-based
"extensions" and support (maybe many such), and this doesn't mean just an html-
pumping site. Conversely, any web-site that wants to should be able to write a
local app that's "well fitted" to the site.

      One of the unfortunate side effects of the dominance of the web-browser
app
is that the net is often used centered around being an html-pump, with browsers
(or just html rendering engines) being the only local app handling such. There's
no reason, for example, why an image viewing app couldn't display images from
a supporting site repo in its own way.. there's no reason the only way to view
an image repo ought to be via html or even via some browser plugin (like Flash
or whatnot).
      There's just so much other stuff one can do if one has certain apis in
place
to transmit data/info, general stuff and specific stuff.

> And we can certainly do more to bridge the gap between the desktop and
> the web. But we gotta be careful, we go too far and you'll start
> seeing browsers in text editors!
>
> As far as websites go, as morlenxus said, get-e.org will be going
> away. I am going to miss the news articles that morlenxus posts
> regularly, so hopefully, we'll see him posting news on the front page
> of enlightenment.org
> e17-stuff.org seems to be operated by somebody else (not the e
> community) for ad revenue, and also seems to be down as I am writing
> this email... exchange should become the main site for themes,
> especially after we get desktop integration.

      I don't see why get-e should go away.. not if they want to give exchange
a good challenge. They could support whatever exchange does, and extend even
more - it could go as far as the drive and vision of its founders want it to
go..
as could exchange, as could others.