On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 04:01:11AM -0400, Jose Gonzalez wrote:
>    Vincent wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008, Jose Gonzalez wrote:
> >
> >>      This is actually damn nice. It's a great example of having e
> >> become more
> >> "web-connected", and could yet become something bigger and better. I
> >> suppose
> >> get-e could've done something similar, and perhaps it could or maybe
> >> integrate
> >> better with this 'exchange', or whatnot... but this is definitely a
> >> much more
> >> refined idea, and with something like live notifications of
> >> apps/libs/themes/
> >> whatnot... changes, or updates, or new stuff, or who-knows-what plus
> >> an app(s)
> >> to make it easy to do whatever-the-who-knows-what, it'd be very nice. :)
> >
> > in that case, we have 2 sites that gives both the same informations (a
> > list of themes, modules). I even know another site that lists the
> > themes, modules, applications : http://www.e17-stuff.org/
> >
> > That is a lot, imho. Maybe you should discuss what to do in order to
> > have less web sites that do almost the same thing.
> >

>       I agree that discussion on this important aspect of "e-and-the-web"
> would
> be excellent, and it's something I tried to mention several times. But what's
> better about this particular exchange thing is the potential for it to evolve
> into something far more than the current set of 'themes' sites like get-e or
> e17-stuff.
>       Those haven't done a thing as far inovation or advancing the bleeding
> edge
> of "e and the web", they're just mainly repositories. One needs to be far more
> creative and bring the web to e in a real-time way that's easy to deal with
> for
> users, developers, designers,...
>       It's not about having a mere 'information' repo, it's got to be about
> connecting
> whatever "e" is, to the net in a better way... and that means having some
> kind of
> *api* to enable devs/themers/users to make their
> apps/libs/themes/who-knows-what
> be net-aware, net-enabled, net-connected, net-hell-if-I-know.
>       Get-e could've done it, but it didn't.. it never really tried. Exchange
> did,
> at least a good start.. Work together and take it from there. :)

GET-E.org has had applications and module code some time ago, i removed
that section because the submitters didn't update the code and so it got
outdated soon. Also GET-E.org was totally different to exchange, it was
keeping an eye at original themes, so it was completly maintained.
Exchange allows the users to submit whatever they want, that will lead
into copyright issues and e17-stuff alike ugly themes.
So there was a reason why we never did the exchange/e17-stuff way.
Also there was an api for downloading files automatically, you might
want to check the theme or background dialog...
I don't think GET-E.org wasn't inovative, but now we had an evolution
and there we have a new better site: exchange

Greets