On Sunday, October 30, 2011, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:56:07 -0200 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@profusion.mobi> said:
>
>> Sorry David, but what we are trying to show is that we have a
psychological
>> problem. Going code to solve the technical problem is not solving the
worst
>> one, the psychological.
>>
>> At IRC we also talked about the shameful behavior post 1.0 EFL. We did a
>> release since the technical details were over, yet we failed to overcome
>> the psychological problem and no releases after it. Even tho major bugs
>> were fixed (stable bugfix) and great amount of features were done (new
>> release).
>
> you must. have a blindfold on. you are blinkered.
>
> http://www.enlightenment.org/p.php?p=news
>
> jan 29 - efl 1.0
> may 25 - efl 1.0.1
> aug 5 - eeze 1.0.2
>
> and right now we are in merge window for 1.1 - did you not read my email
> e-devel about it? apparently not.

I did, yet it should have been done months ago, not now.

>> There is no point in argue about the technical bits. Those are easy and
we
>> like to solve them. We have to fix the hard problem that nobody wants to
>> handle. Ignore it won't help.
>>
>> As kakaroto pointed out the current behavior just scares new developers
and
>> demotivates existing (I'm included here). Then we have less people to
help
>> as we are isolating the project to the point we have just 1-3 developers
>> doing actual code. :-(
>
> and all the people not helping want to run the show?

How to help what we diagree on? We are making our points, you cannot ignore
them as a techinical problem, it's not about the tech part.

>> Even the non code issues are problematic. There was a guy doing the
website
>> and without any help he left. Then another guy came and the process
>> repeated. The first email was "I've seen this before and you are going
>> nowhere" and he also left. For theme I've tried o help with efenniht and
>
> because he was. i have seen dozens of emails saying "heres my website
layout"
> as a text file - then nothing getting done. dresb (andreas blanc) was
doing a
> good job - but he had some health problems and had to pull back. jesse was
> doing content and i asked him for it - he vanished never to respond to my
email
> back in april. i frankly haven't had time to do anything with the website.

The point nobody will do it is because people loose motivation after being
pushed back.

>> same behavior make us tired of going against a wall and doing catch-up
with

> efnheit never got anything said about it other than i really didn't quite
like
> it - detourious imho is better. i am in fact using it right now. i've even
> fixed up the default wallpaper to not be so glaringly "same grey". i mean
> talk to jeffdameth about it. i would consider detourious for a default
theme -
> it still needs work to replace default.

If it does not become the default it will always lag behind. Just because
people fix what is the default due lack of time.

What is the motivation for people to play catch up? Maybe their work will
be trashed, as happened before with efenniht. Who wants to work for nothing?

>> the default. I've tried to help detourious but maybe the same thing will
>> happen, as elementary theme is FAR from ready and the code evolves
without
>> people fixing detourious.
>>
>> Yes, pychology plays a great role in community and we are very bad at it.
>> See the contribution rate of unpaid developers (not from profusion,
samsung
>> or ordissimo) :-(
>
> if i gave into pressure and whats popular e would never have existed..

Congrats, see what happened over the history. We went from mainstream as
gnome wm to a barely known software piece people laught at. We can change
this, but need a consensus to get there.

> i've made my statement on what needs to be done on the todo. as of now
i'm not
> taking part in this flamefest anymore. i'm working on the todo and efl 1.1
> after efl 1.1 its e17 and elm 1.0. e17 involves working on the tasks
assigned.
> if you cared you would have spent your weekend working on e17 like i just
did.
> i spent most of saturday and sunday on it. who else is sacrificing for
it? come
> on? (and i didn't do any during the week because i spent all that time on
efl)

as said the technical problems are solvable. But the actual problems are
not technical and I don't see them going away anytime soon.

So far you point to the list, but it is your list as not everybody agrees
with it. You can't expect people complaining about the list contents to
help with it. OTOH people that say they agree with it should help you with
it. So far you are working on it alone, with some help from discomfitor.

This discussion turned to be very helpful to understand what is this about.
:-(