On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:05:20 -0400 Youness Alaoui
> <kakar...@kakaroto.homelinux.net> said:
>
> i'm already working on taskbar. i've fixed horizontal sizing issues
> already. i
> need to fix theme up. t_unix has pending patches for xrandr multi-screen i
> have
> yet to look at - if someone wants a release them why not review those
> patches
> and try them out while i'm busy? otherwise this just takes longer. we
> can't set
> dates because so many people agree to do shit and then DONT DO IT.. in the
> end... i do most of it. look at:

Ok that's cool, just let me know and I can stress test and report bugs on
taskbar or any other module. I also need the multiscreen stuff, right now I
have a script that uses xrandr, so I got the setup ready and I can test it
for you.
As for dates, yes, set a date, and if someone doesn't do shit, then too
bad, the missing features will be missing features, it shouldn't mean a
delay of another year.

> http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Release
>
> of the list left the following could be dropped:
>
> * connman module ui improvement
> * config modules for missing e config vars
>
> the rest are not droppable. of the droppable ones the connman ui is more
> droppable. but thats MOOT right now as these are not the last 2 things
> left.

We went through the list with Cedric and Gustavo, and this is the list with
comments :
- Fix EFM to be completely reliable/functional
   --> That's not a feature, those are bugs, and if they are not fixed by
the time RC1 is fixed then it's not an issue to fix them between RC1 and
final release.
- Redo resolution settings module
   --> It is important, and I need it myself *but* people can live without
it. Those who can't will just have to endure it or wait for the next
release.
        Anyways, if this work has already been started (or not  hard
enough), then IF it can be done for RC1 then it can be included, otherwise
too bad.
- Randr config module/integration
  --> I don't really know what it means, so I can't comment
- Keymap config
  --> Same as the resolution module, while it is necessary, people can live
without it, otherwise, they'll endure it or wait. If it can be done by the
time of RC1 release, then bugfixes can be added for the final release.
- Get a default theme 100% ready to ship
  --> This is a no brainer, that extra polishing (what exactly is missing
anyways?) can be done from RC1 to final.
- Connman module ui needs to be improved
  --> I don't use it so not much to say about it, I use nm-applet with the
systray module. But I guess it's the same as above, while it's needed, it's
not something that will break the release.
- Add config modules for all missing E config vars
  --> Same as above.

> if people WANT A RELEASE, THEN STEPUP AND DO SOMETHING!
>
> with those done then we can absolutely do an alpha (though it must wait
> until
> after efl 1.1 which is now due in about 3 weeks).

Why not do the alpha (or RC1, it's the same thing, different naming) at the
same time as efl 1.1 release? That's what we discussed and I think it's a
good idea. This also sets a date for people to get their patches in before
the alpha release.

> mind u - this debate has come up several times in the past, every 6-12 mo
> or
> so. and u know what happens? NOTHING. the people who all want it don't DO
> anything. i give a list of things to do (a rough hand-wavy one) and then
> they
> proceed to do nothing. i have learned lessons over the 16 years of doing
> things. 99% of people like to spout opinions and tell you what you should
> do. 1%
> actually get off their butts and make things happen at all. 0.01% of them
> ACTUALLY have the fortitude to stick it out long enough to get things DONE.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's an old debate.. now I wonder why there still was
no release.. maybe it's because "it wasn't stable and noone did anything"
or maybe it's because rasterman vetoed everything, decided to get pissed
and scare off everyone. The purpose of this thread (and probably all the
previous discussions) is to get a point across, the release is needed, and
most people think that there is no point in delaying it, but if you're too
stubborn on that, maybe that's the reason no release was ever made, not
about people not contributing (which btw, seeing how you sometimes answer
aggressively, it might actually have scared away contributors).

> to everyone debating e17 release - get off your butts and do the todo
> list. if
> you actually DID this... it'd have been done long ago.

Still missing the point, the TODO list is not the blocker, it seems to be
you and your decision. The release can be made now, the TODO list is
irrelevant.
I tried to compromise, I tried to come up with a solution that would make
everyone happy but you simply ignored it. I didn't write a long email to
explain things just to have 99% of it ignored.
Assign a release manager, set specific dates for feature freezes (which
would come with a release candidate) and specific dates for releases. Do an
alpha at the same time as the efl 1.1 (NO MATTER WHAT) and get that out of
the door, it's in 3 weeks? then you got 3 weeks to do these little new
features you want ('you' being anyone who wants to contribute of course),
and you said youself it's a matter of weeks, so prove it. If it can't be
done in the next 3 weeks, then it will never be done. Then after that, you
got 1 month to iron out any bugs reported and make the whole (including the
new, somewhat buggy, features added right before the alpha release) thing
more stable, then release 1 month later! If there are still pending bugs by
that time, then too bad, you missed the window, next release will have
those bugs fixed.

> fyi - that todo list was decided because those items were deemed TO be
> critical enough to stall a release. even YOU are crying out for multimon
> config! you don't even give a consistent stance.

Yes, they WERE deemed critical, now I think what is actually critical is to
have a release, it's time to revisit with the current situation what is
actually deemed critical. I gave my opinion above about them.
As for my consistency, no, I am consistent, while yes, I do want and need
multi monitor support, like I said, if it can't make it then too bad! I
prefer to see a release, to see exposure and to see the 90% of users who
may not need multimon support be happy to use E17, and the remaining 10%
also happy but somewhat annoyed and impatient to get the next release that
fixes their use cases.
I also want to go to the moon next week, if I can't, too bad, but I won't
hang myself either.