On Sun, 14 May 2017 11:47:34 +0000
Andrew Williams <a...@andywilliams.me> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I think a little context may help here - please take a breath and
> consider each others motivation before contradicting further.
>
> William,
> EFL is intended as a cross-platform solution. Apps built with it
> should work on different platforms and front ends without
> re-compiling.

I understand. This is also not my code. I did not write it. I am trying
to adapt it and bugs have been open for years on the matter.

> We are moving to binary distribution (at some point,
> some how) (see previous conference topics on "Marrakesh") so having
> binaries for each configuration option is probably not maintainable.

I do not run a binary distribution to begin with. It usually is up to
package maintainers to ensure their package works for a given platform.

I am only producing binaries because cmake allows such easily. That was
not the case before and I can stop and/or release different ones if
needed to support different configurations.

I already make varying binaries for my Gentoo servers and systems,
which I have a few. I am already making binaries with different
options, etc.

> It is clear that we have some projects that are not maintained and
> really appreciate any help we can get to move things forward. However
> cloning a repo to an alternative remote does not make that official.

It does if it becomes a fork. Which I have no problems with and said
that may be an option from the start. Though I had hoped to avoid such.

> The out of date codebase in git.enlightenment.org is still the
> official repo - and until we manage to figure a permanent change
> (access or relocation) it remains the responsibility of the forker to
> pull any upstream changes. This is not meant to be onerous but it's
> pretty much how things are.

Yes and everyone I talked to about ecrire before touching that dead
code, said that it was a dead project. Its funny how people want to
get all official over a dead project that no one cared about till I
touched it. Common open source, no one cares till you do then everyone
has an opinion, and becomes back seat drivers.

While I am scratching MY own itches. That my intention is to give back
to others. Means I am willing to spend MY time on things that matter to
others not myself. But I have no need or requirement. I can just do
things for my needs, fork, etc.

The beauty of open source. Which usually what ever code base is active,
doing releases, etc. That is considered official. This happens in
legacy code bases all the time. Someone else comes along, pickups the
code, and they become the new official source.

I do not need to be on list. I do not need to be trying to give back,
insulted, etc. I can continue with my development efforts 100% on the
outside. Seems most of the projects few EFL that exist are that way.
I packaged quite allot of stuff that was NOT on enlightenment.org.
I guess that stuff isn't official either... :)

--
William L. Thomson Jr.