2) We have a file manager...
 http://i.imgur.com/P2Z6I.jpg
 Its not as full featured as say, Nautilus, but its still very good.

1) We had a login manager, but no-one maintained it and it was old and
full of spiders and dust. I hear a re-write may be possible.

4) Agreed!

3) Agreed!

3 & 4) Apps dont write themselves unfortunately. And I dare say, those
that are contributing code are more focused on the core components
than stuff that can come once the main important bits are done.

In terms of music players and consoles, this probably wont help, but I
use xterm (light, fast, dont need all the other junk (tabs are silly
for terminals as you generally look at 2 or more at the same time
anyway)), and Grooveshark... which is a web based music player. Its
got a huge library of music and quite easy to use. For offline music,
I just use rhythmbox.

That being said, you dont see a 'fluxbox' terminal and file manager.
Also, all the devs (I hope) use E17 as their default desktop setup.
And as mad as it sounds, we're all human beings with our own personal
use for computers as well! :O We all seem to manage quite fine. To
take your car analogy, its not missing seats, its missing leather
interior, seat warmers, cigarette lighter and side mirror defoggers.
IMHO, its all very usable, but you dont get some of the luxuries of
the other big bloaty DEs.

Thanks for the feedback :) We do need it!
Toma.