This coming week's New Scientist is summarising 'before the big
bang'.  I read a couple of experiments recently in which lasers and x-
rays are being used to track photon-electron interaction - it seems
electrons beyond the 'valence-shell' are affected by a single photon
collision.  Lasers are also being used to keep a nucleus stable
without the electron shell.  The philosophers now give us 'structural
realism', but we sort of know that the bits of hydrogen we pull apart
and fire at each other and the decay patterns we notice are
constructed in several kilometres of the LHC ('constructor theory')
and that some of our reactions are literally constructed inside
catalysts.

What's the other side of absolute zero is a question from your
interesting posit on helium.  There are speculations but I'm not
familiar with them.  Like other colleagues retired from doing actual
science I miss it.  I'm more concerned these days with why we haven't
grasped we should be devoting effort to environment control instead of
economic tat.