I don't go with Craig on the 'answer' - but we don't know what matter
or energy is - we construct notions of such in the present including
the notion some 'stuff' is older than us.  Whitehead's 'occasions of
experience' perhaps.
We sidestep a lot of ontology with method.  If you waft a bit of lead
carbonate in a test tube in a Bunsen flame for a while it will turn
yellow. That is, on Earth in normal lab conditions.  You could check
this out if arsed.  A blind man would need a sighter he could trust.
If I draw two line on a flip chart, one slightly shorter than the
other and get a collaborator to point to the short one and say it is
the longest - most will follow the lie and point to the wrong one.  A
ruler becomes the arbiter.  Much of science is about keeping cheating
slackers and dumb sheep behaviour out.  Particles are just accounting
devices and theories accounting systems.  Science likes to mark to
what it posits as reality - unlike banks.  What that reality is - fuck
knows - but just hold the top of this Leiden Jar Nom - the shock will
only be nominal (or Nominal's?).  Make me a radio based on some goon's
ideas about health giving crystals - or try Wireless World (I was once
an addict).  Tropical fish realism works - but this doesn't negate
what Craig has to say and neither does it not working for me.  Locke
left room for something more speculative than the empirical.