On Friday, December 21, 2012 11:20:14 AM UTC-5, nominal9 wrote:

> Hello Stephen,
>
> I see your point....considering that the practical function of the
> "spirit" ... let's call it experience for my purpose here...is to guard
> against known harm (or to allow the way toward known beneficial outcomes)
> then experience does sort of look back "in memory" to or at a stored future
> of past experience to help decide whether a present course of action is
> advisable or not.... but the actual "things" that are recorded "in memory"
> experience actually happened in the past... so in that sense, I think that
> Bergson had the time line right... What concerned me in the past (when I
> first heard of this question) and what still does about Bergson's
> "spirit".... is what it ("spirit") actually was? Bergson seemed (in my
> opinion) to say that the "spirit" knowledge or experience in memory was not
> "physical" which is to say, not a piece of material "brain", let's say but
> that it had some sort of non-physical existence... this seems right when
> one considers such words as "idea", "concept", "form", "mental image" and
> the like... and these "spirit memory thingies" can certainly be contained
> outside the physical brain and be passed on to others... by writings,
> recordings. relayed messages, etc.... but even the outside recorded
> "stimuli" of these secondary sources are just markers for a sought effect
> that has to be registered by a physical brain (by every physical brain that
> cares to "know" that thingy).... so the question still remains... what the
> heck are those "spirit" thingies.... are they physical (material objects)
> in any case... living ideas just waiting out there to be thought up,
> experienced or "discovered"? ... OR are they just random recorded firings
> of neurons excited in a particularly sequenced manner?.... HAR.....
> Objective or Subjective....?

In my view you are both right, as spirit is time, or more precisely spirit
is experience (time is a linear generic-spatialization of experience).
Spirit is all time. Body is the spatially extended public view of a
particular set of private experiences. With humans it gets complicated as
we have a brain experiencing a body experiencing a world so that we
identify with a character of our body that is actually a feature of our
lifetime story made of images and expectations, not of cells and organs.
You have to turn it upside down. There is no function of spirit, rather it
is the world which serves the senses of experience. Harm and benefit are
only meaningful to experience, not to the body.

Craig