On 12/27/2012 12:59 PM, nominal9 wrote:
Antiplatonist, Stephen?.... Well that begs the question... how much so (are you different from Plato)? Consider that "if" a Platonist maintains a Subjective view of Concepts and a Subjective view of References, then you could be antiplatonist either in the whole (Realist) or in part, halfway in two directions (Nominalist or Phenomenologist)... it's just the range of possibilities in my way of looking at it....

Platonist ...................................................Realist
Concept (Subjective) / Reference (Subjective)---Concept (Objective) / Reference (Objective)

Concept (Subjective) / Reference (Objective)-----Concept (Objective) / Reference (Subjective)

I don't want to get bothersome with this, but what and how is it that you don't like about the Platonist view

 Hi nominal9,

The entire idea of a priori definiteness of properties and the corresponding tacit idea that consciousness is passive; that the content of our consciousness is merely poured into us, metaphorically speaking. OTOH, the sins of the nominalists are too many to count... Present company excluded...

Process Philosophy tells us that there are no fundamental objects, all is process or product of process, this answers the dichotomy between universalism and nominalism - showing it to be false, so why bother with it? Unless we wish to dive into the depths of semantics...

and how it regards this whole question brought up by Henri Bergson... does it have to do with the notion of "Spirit"?

I have not quite grasped Bergson's point. I see the spirit as something corresponding to potential energy for mind... if it is even a necessary concept.

Let me start it this way.. how and what would you consider or define "Spirit" to be... a Concept(idea) or a Reference(Matter)?.... and next would you consider "Spirit" to be Subjective or Objective?... harder yet... what do you think Bergson says "Spirit" is and do you agree or disagree with him?

I say: Start over. Are we trying to rehabilitate Bergson or addressing the problem that he was trying to solve? I like this rehabilitation of Cartesian dualism <http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/ratmech.pdf>, viewed from the p.o.v. of process philosophy. My initial comment was that I thought Bergson had the directions "spirit" coming from the past, where Pratt (in the refereed paper) shows how it looks back on the past. A tiny but important difference, but I don't wish to spit hairs...