On 12/28/2012 12:10 PM, nominal9 wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Stephen.... Process Philosophy is something new (as such) to me... so I looked it up in a pretty good Philosophical encyclopedia....Does the article below do it ("Process Philosophy") justice, more or less?

Hi N9,

OK to shorten your handle? Yes, the article @ http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/process-philosophy/ is great, hitting all the notes requires for at least an introduction.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/process-philosophy/
The "founding" notion seems to be that Process is diverse from Substance, as a principle of order or organization....

Right. You might also wish to read the article (by the same people) on Substance: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/substance/

Very naively on my part.....I ask....and challenge....In seeking to supplant "Substance" with Process... what happens to all that the "Substance" folks... thinkers and scientists... have discovered and learned... about... Physical Matter and .. Thought... ?

What forced me to P.P. is the Hole argument of General Relativity: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/spacetime-holearg/ It argues in powerful ways against the notion of substance as ontologically primitive. If space-time itself cannot be consistently defined as a substance and the "stuffness" of my desk vanishes when I examine it closely enough, as we learn from Quantum Mechanics, what is the point to the very idea of a ontologically primitive substance? What does "substance" do, other than act as a "bearer of properties" that some how binds those properties together? Is there a better way of doing ontology that allows an epistemology to be constructed that "makes sense" given what our amazingly accurate physics theories tell us?

Is all that "stuff" useless and for naught?... I mean, I guess, what do the Processists replace each and every bit of that "learned" stuff with?

Processes generates "products": relatively invariant patterns of relations. Ever read any Prigogine or any articles on dissipative structures? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Prigogine

But, I will look more into it... read the abstract you gave and try to respond better to your replies, Stephen... At first blush, looking at the Stanford Encyclopedia article above... it looks to me like Process Philosophy has much in common (as method, at least) with what phenomenologists like to do... "Bracketing"

Right. Bracketing is a good way of looking at this as it allows for the explicit reference to context, boundary and constraints. One reason I like it is that it helps avoid tacit assumptions of omniscience.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/phenomenology/
Personally... I don't much care for phenomenology....just saying... I think it is too "internal" and cerebrally based... doesn't really look at the external "thing" (physical thing especially) under examination for its own explanations of itself (i.e., not "empirical" or inductive [GOOD IMO] but instead abstractly "logical" and deductive[BAD IMO])

    Yes, I agree.

snip

--
Onward!