I had to open 512 through our firewall when I was testing X at
home.  The result of that test is:
1)  It's really cool.
2)  It's really, really slow.
3)  Don't waste your time.
4)  VNC is so much faster.

At 08:46 AM 08/30/2000 -0700, you wrote:

>trying to secure a slackware 7.1/2.2.16 box that needs to act
as an
>x-server.  anyone know what ports need to be open to allow
>this?  currently opened 5000-6000, 496XX (from netstat) and 177
but still
>blocking the server somehow (shows up on other machines when
firewall is
>down and not when it is up).

Hmm, no idea.  A look at /etc/services showed me the 177 port
for sure.

>  we don't want to push x through ssh since the
>romote clients are windows running Xwin32 on machines required
to run ONLY
>windows (thus no small linux partition).

You can run SSH under windows.  there are both pay and free
versions.
Running SSH is HIGHLY recommended, since X is insecure.

>Any all suggestions are appreciated.

You look at VNC as another option?  VNC has benefits and
disadvantages
different from X, advantage include stateless
(disconnect/reconnect),
simple ports (5900+), full desktop, and free ($$ and GPL).